There is no recognised cure for hyperhidrosis, however, treatments with botulinum toxin can leave you clear of any sweating for significant periods of time.
Yes, for the best results we would recommend the following:
- Trim any hair in the area being treated
- Avoid the use of antiperspirants for one day before and after treatment
- Avoid vigorous physical activity for one-two days after the treatment
The vast majority of patients find this procedure virtually pain free, however, some may complain of a very slight pricking sensation. The procedure itself takes no longer than 5-10 minutes and therefore it’s over before you know it.
This is a relatively quick procedure which will take no longer than 15 minutes. Our Doctors will take a full history at the beginning of the consultation to ensure that this is the correct procedure for you.
Your sweat doesn’t go anywhere or get backed up because the sweat simply is not produced in the treated areas. Remember, the rest of your body is free to produce moisture normally.
Botox® or botulinum toxin is a recognised treatment for hyperhidrosis. It works by blocking
excessive nerve signals to the sweat glands, therefore, reducing the amount of sweat they produce.
This is normally a clinical diagnosis made by your doctor however further tests may be ordered depending on the type of hyperhidrosis you are suffering with.
Often people with hyperhidrosis find that the sweating occurs to a degree that starts to affect day to day activities.
For instance, you may find:
- You avoid shaking hands with others due to the sweating on the palms.
- You avoid activities that would naturally make you sweat.
- The sweating is interfering with your job.
- You are showering several times in the day or frequently changing your clothes.
- You have become very self-conscious and even socially withdrawn.
- Clinical-strength antiperspirants have failed.
Sweating is a normal bodily function and helps to keep you at a steady temperature. Some people, however, sweat more than required.